In this article I will discuss what a BI Developer typically needs to install on either their PC / Laptop or Dev Server.
This set up is for SQL Server 2012, Visual Studio 2012 Pro (or higher) and TFS Online.
1) SQL Server 2012 with latest Service Packs (or matching Live Server).
- Database Engine
- Integration Services Engine
- Analysis Services Engine (Multidimensional or Tabular or both, if both than you need 2 instances)
- Reporting Services Native (or SharePoint)
- Master Data Services
- Data Quality Services
2) Visual Studio 2012 Pro (or higher)
- Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 (Update 4 should be released soon)
- SSDT BI for VS 2012 (Remember to select new instance if you are using x64 bits SQL Server 2012)
- SSDT for VS 2012 (This includes Database Project which is MUST Have)
- TFS Online (Free up to 5 users or TFS Server)
- Connect to TFS from VS 2012
Have I missed anything? I will try to include links soon.