In this step by step SQL Tutorial I will show you how to use SQL UPPER Function. For the purpose of this tutorial I will use SQL Server 2012.
Other Versions of SQL Server:
- SQL Server 2012
- This blog post has been written using SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2008 / R2
- The examples we used should work in SQL Server 2008 and R2
- SQL Server 2005
- We suspect that this will work in SQL Server 2005 as well
Who is it for?
- People who would like to learn basics of using functions.
- Those who are preparing for Microsoft certifications and need to cover this topic.
UPPER Function - returns a string value after converting specified string value characters to upper case.
UPPER (<<String Value>>)
<<String Value>> - Provide string value (field name or expression) that will be used as your input.
SELECT UPPER ('abcd')
Result = 'ABCD'
UPPER Function Microsoft Documentation
In this example I will use AdventureWorks2012 database dbo.Person.Person table.
In this example I will show you how to use UPPER function to change letters in a string to upper case. In first column you can see LastName and the second column LastNameUpperLetter you can see that last name is return into upper case.
I hope that helps