In this step by step SQL Tutorial I will show you how to SQL SUBSTRING Function. For the purpose of this tutorial I will use SQL Server 2012.
Other Versions of SQL Server:
- SQL Server 2012
- This blog post has been written using SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2008 / R2
- The examples we used should work in SQL Server 2008 and R2
- SQL Server 2005
- We suspect that this will work in SQL Server 2005 as well
Who is it for?
- People who would like to learn basics of using functions.
- Those who are preparing for Microsoft certifications and need to cover this topic.
SUBSTRING Function - returns portion of the specified string value based on starting position and number of characters to be returned.
SUBSTRING(<<String Value>>, <<Starting Position>>, <<Number of Characters>>)
<<String Value>> - Provide string value (field name or expression) that will be used as your input.
<<Starting Position>> - Provide starting position which indicates where the portion of string will be extract from.
<<Number of Characters>> - Provide number of characters that should be extracts (from Starting Position).
In this example I will use AdventureWorks2012 database Sales.Customer table.
In this example I will show you how to use SUBSTRING function to return a piece of character string of AccountNumber. In first column you can see AccountNumber and the second column AccountNumberMiddle7Character you can see that i use function SUBSTRING to extract ewerything what starts from second character in value and rund through next severn letters in the string.
I hope that will help