In this step by step SQL Tutorial I will show you how to use RTRIM function. For the purpose of this tutorial I will use SQL Server 2012.
Other Versions of SQL Server:
- SQL Server 2012
- This blog post has been written using SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2008 / R2
- The examples we used should work in SQL Server 2008 and R2
- SQL Server 2005
- We suspect that this will work in SQL Server 2005 as well
Who is it for?
- People who would like to learn basics of using functions.
- Those who are preparing for Microsoft certifications and need to cover this topic.
RTRIM Function - returns a value after removing any spaces from the right side of the specified input value.
RTRIM (<<Input Value>>)
<<Input Value>> - Provide input value (string, field name or expression) that will be used as your input.
In this example I will show you how to use RTRIM to remove empty space from the right side of the string (input value). In first column you can see string with space at the beginning and at the end. The second column StringWithNoSpaceOnTheLeft you can see that i use function RTRIM to remove the space from the end of the string (input value).
Below is result. You can see that space was only removed from the right side.
I hope that will help