In this step by step SQL Tutorial I will show you how to use MAX aggregate function. For the purpose of this tutorial I will use SQL Server 2012.
Other Versions of SQL Server:
- SQL Server 2012
- This blog post has been written using SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2008 / R2
- The examples we used should work in SQL Server 2008 and R2
- SQL Server 2005
- We suspect that this will work in SQL Server 2005 as well
Who is it for?
- People who would like to learn basics of using functions.
- Those who are preparing for Microsoft certifications and need to cover this topic.
- MAX Function Introduction
- MAX Function Example
MAX Function - Returns the highest available value based on the given set of rows.
MAX ( <<Input Field>> )
<<Input Field>> - Provide Field name that will be used to perform the MAX function logic.
In this example I will use AdventureWorks2012 database dbo.FactInternetSales table and show you how to use Max to show the biggest sales amount.
Below I used MAX function and used SalesAmount field so my result show the biggest Sales Amount.
I hope that helps