In this step by step SQL Tutorial I will show you how to use Avg() function. For the purpose of this tutorial I will use SQL Server 2012.
Other Versions of SQL Server:
- SQL Server 2012
- This blog post has been written using SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2008 / R2
- The examples we used should work in SQL Server 2008 and R2
- SQL Server 2005
- We suspect that this will work in SQL Server 2005 as well
Who is it for?
- People who would like to learn basics of using functions.
- Those who are preparing for Microsoft certifications and need to cover this topic.
- SQL AVG function Introduction
- SQL AVG function Example
AVG Function - returns the total sum of a numeric column.
AVG ( <<Input Value>> )
<<Input Value>> - Provide expression value, numeric or approximate value that will be used as your input.
In this example I will use AdventureWorksDW2012 database, dbo.FactInternetSales table.
In this example I will show you how to use AVG aggregate function. In a select I put Avg and inside the brackets I type star after the star I type new column name.
I hope that will help