This task is pat of our DIY Project: Reality vs daydreaming.
DIY Task Name: Find accounts and input data.
Task Goal: The goal of this task is to predict balance per month for the last 3 years and find all accounts where you have money (includes loans etc) and get balance for the last 3 months and input it into your choosen design.
Tip: Think about ALL accounts, missing an account may result in inaccurate data. Take into consideration loans, credit cards, paypal, savings accounts or assets (if you want to meet optional requirements).
- Input predications for each month (1st of Month) for the last 3 years.
- Think about how much money you had as of 1st of Month. This is a combination of all accounts and you don't have to split it by account (this would be time consuming and would give little value).
- NOTE: It's important you do that first so you don't adjust it based on actual data you see in your accounts and comparing prediction vs actual is the main point of this project.
- Remember this is just a prediction so don't the more in the past you go the less accurate it has to be and you can use the same balance for many month or entire year. Prediction is just a guide and doesn't have to be accurate, so don't spend too much time on it but spend enough to factor in major financial events.
- Find all accounts.
- It's important to find all major accounts to get a fairly accurate picture of your balance.
- Account examples are:
- Current accounts (e.g. your main bank account).
- Credit Cards.
- Mortgage (in this case you can do a difference between mortgage and value of house)
- Prepaid cards.
- and so on.
- The task ask for 3 years of data which means you should have 36 months of data for each account however you will have to deal with some exceptions like:
- New accounts (not a problem just fewer months).
- Closed accounts (where you no longer have access to it, e.g. paid off loans, closed credit cards etc.)
- Accounts where you cannot go back 3 years in the past.
- Note: If getting 3 years of data is difficult then try to get 3 years of data where possible. It will not give you precise reflection of data so make a note of where you are missing the data so when you analyze the data you know of major "data quality issues" (missing data).
- Input actual data
- Once you find all your accounts, input data into your chosen design.
- This may be easier or harder depending on the options you choose and fact if you have some kind of interface to help you input data.
- After you input data do some checks and see if data was input correctly. This may help you identify any data quality issues (errors etc.)
I recommend to estimate the effort of design and make a note of it. It's worth tracking your time and comparing it to your initial estimation so you can more accurately estimate effort in future projects (a valuable skill).