Project Name: My Finance
Who is it for? Anyone who would like to test their skills and gain more experience. For more info visit DIY Projects Overview.
Skills Required: You can use any skills you have to complete the project, and we recommend (part of our courses):
- SQL Server (T-SQL or BI Stack)
- Excel (Power BI recommended)
Project Purpose: The purpose of this project is to get a good overview of your own finances using your own financial accounts (e.g. bank, credit card) statements and find out if you are in control of your finances (estimations vs actuals).
Industries: Working with account statements is typical for finance and accounting industries due to its nature, however any industry will usually work with own account statements for instance for reconciliation purposes.
This project is recommended to people who meet the following conditions:
- Access to bank statement (your own)
- If you work with someone's bank statement please make sure to have permission, protect the data and not share the data with other people (Data Protection Act).
- Analytical skills e.g. Review statement file structure.
- Design skills e.g. Define a structure that will meet the project objectives.
- Planning skills e.g. Create and follow your own project plan.
- Technical skills e.g. Knowledge of tools that will allow you to meet the project objectives.
- Testing skills
You can use either SQL Server (Star Schema recommended) or Excel (Power BI) to complete this project.
To prepare for this project project we recommend to study our mini courses.
We will point you to the right mini courese when we discuss specific requirements.
The project starts with a business case.