This blog post has been created to cover Database interview questions and answers and we will use questions related to SQL Server however most of them might be applicable to other database products.
These questions will vary in difficulty and will cover different areas of database related questions so some of the questions will be suitable for freshers or fresh graduates, and others onces for experienced developers and DBAs. This knowledge will be also useful for testers.
Please note that this post covers only database interview questions using SQL Server for more questions covering different areas visit SQL Server Interview questions (collection of Q&A).
In first part we will focus on theory
- What is a database?
- What does DBMS stands for?
- What is DBMS?
- How is data stored in a database?
- What does referential integrity mean?
- What is a primary key?
- What is a composite key?
- What is a candidate key?
- What is a foreign key?
- What is a unique key?
- What is a contraint?
- What is a default constraint?
- What is a check constraint?
- What is a trigger?
- What is an index?
- What are pros and cons of using indexes?
- What is a clustered index?
- What is a heap table?
- What is a non-clustered index?
- What is a column store index?
- How is a table stored on disk?
- What is an execution plan?
- What is an estimated execution plan?
- What is the file extension of database data file?
- What is the file extension of log file?
- What is the importance of backups?
- What kind of backup types can you perform?
- Describe different types of backups.
- What is recovery model?
- What kind of recovery models do you know?
I started with questions and I will add answers when I have some more time.
If you would like to learn more about SQL visit our SQL Tutorial if you want to get a qualitification you can visit our exam guide for 98-364 Database Fundamentals (basics that everyone should know!) and Exam guide for 70-461 Querying with SQL Server 2012 (this one requires more SQL skills and knowledge).